It took me a while to sew my first children’s hospital gown for Wrap Pyjama Fairies, which has gone to a little girl having bladder surgery in Leeds, and hearing her story from her mum spurred me on to make my first PJs for children staying in hospital. I have to admit the first pyjamas were even more of a labour of love than the hospital gown, everything that could go wrong did. As this pattern was a few measurements in the instructions I drafted my own pattern based on these and unfortunately read the wrong line for one of the dimensions, which I didn’t discover until I’d finished the top and the neck wouldn’t even fit a 2 year old’s hand through let alone a head. Luckily I had cut it too wide not too narrow, and a week later I decided to trim it to the right dimensions and hey presto.

Then I got to the PJ bottoms which were relatively easy once I’d decided to use some plain fabric as I hadn’t bought enough patterned fabric. However, I was close to finishing them when I realised I’d lost my safety pins in the chaos that is our house until the extension is finished, so couldn’t pull the elastic through the waist. I don’t know why I then decided it was a good idea to try my new twin needle on the sewing machine as it took a while to get the tension right.

As they say all’s well that ends well, and after the not so quick first pair my second pair of PJs was whipped up in a fraction of the time and these bunnies will be hopping their way to a little hospital patient soon.

Written by Vicky Morse

The designer behind Accidental Vix and mum of gorgeous and boisterous baby boy and wife to fab and supportive hubby with an aim to just be creative.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.